Monday, September 10, 2007

Technology I Can't Seem to Live Without

As I am studying for this online class, I was struck by the technological systems I have grown accustomed to and cannot do without:

DSL-- I have gone from a 1200 baud modem and calling bulletin boards (Pulled my first computer all nighter) to a wireless network and DSL. When the Internet started to gain popularity, I had dial up--talk about frustration, I used to hate waiting for pages to load. Sometime back through a problem with our ISP, We were without service for about a week. I felt that I was disconnected from the world.

E-Mail: At work, it is indispensable--I have a Blackberry to monitor it when I am away from my computer. My Dad had outlandish phone bills talking his contacts throughout the world ($3000 per month), once I dragged him into email--he dropped his phone bill down to $50. It makes it much easier to communicate with friends and family throughout the country and world.

DVD Player: What I can't say. Valerie and I went to the movies recently--we purchased tickets, 2 hotdogs, 2 sodas, one popcorn and candy. We were down about $35-45 bucks. I can rent a second run movie (a few months later) for about $ 4 . Soda is about $ 1.00 each. Popcorn (Microwave) is about $ 1.00. Do the math! Plus, if we have to take a biology break, we can stop the movie.

Computer: I have had a computer since 1987. The times I have been between computers, I felt like I am was in the stone age. I remember when I dragged my Dad into the 20th century. He fought me tooth and nail, but once he got to used to the idea--I could schedule time to do my homework at 2:00am. Funny, the more we rely on computers--the longer we wait for them.

DVR: A recent addition. Being in Orange County, CA--You could put a coat hanger on the back to the TV and get quite a few channels. I finally sprung for Dish when I was working nights--Valerie would have good TV to watch. After exploring Ebay, I found a Digital Video Recorder. I can pause live TV, rewind and fast forward through the commercials. Plus, it is real easy to set to record programs weekly. Beats the daylights out of the old VCR.

Cell Phone: When I was growing up, I always carried change to make an emergency phone call. After college, I was working in Sales--I knew the location of every pay phone in my territory. Now, I complain about coverage. Of course, it brings up a whole new set of rules--like no calls on that biology break.

Car Stereo: for those of us whose first cars were 60's era, the radios were at best AM Mono. Now, I have a hard drive that holds my music. With traffic in Southern California-a good radio is essential to keep your sanity.

Air Conditioning for Autos: Up until I bought my truck (1995) , I never owned a vehicle with air conditioning. Boy, I didn't know what I was missing--especially, this past Labor Day weekend. Here in So Cal, we had 100 degrees and 100% humidity--To all of you in other parts of the country--I know, quit whining. But if you are not used to it--welcome to the gates of Hell.

PDA: This I dub my electronic brain. I have my phone numbers and appointments in it. Tried the paper planners, but I kept forgetting to take them. I am I more organized? Not really, but I do not forget phone numbers or Doctor appointments.

This isn't the whole list and it will change in the future, however, isn't this what technology is supposed to do? Please share with me--The technology you can't live without. It will be interesting to see different interpretations.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol on the biology breaks. Gonna have to tease Valerie about that one!

All those you mentioned I cannot live without. That and the microwave. Best contraption ever invented. Makes cooking much nicer when you don't like to cook!

Jacquie

Valerie said...

dammit - i didn't care one whit for technology until i met YOU. sheesh.

Kenny said...

The DVR! Greatest. Invention. EVER!

Anonymous said...

Good post.