Thursday, September 13, 2007

Back to School

To dovetail with Random Thoughts, I thought I would share my thoughts upon returning to school. I am taking two classes this semester. Aviation Ground School and Intro to computers and programing.

Ground School: This is the third time I am taking this class. It its not that I do not get it. It is to prepare you to take the FAA Private Pilot exam. Now if you do not take it right after the class, you start to lose your edge. As one of my teachers put it, Stuff keeps leaking out of the bucket. Unfortunately, I didn't take the test right off and later on that year, my Dad died.

Time two: Same teacher, Same Class four years later. Got out to take the test, however, Mom got sick and passed away that summer.

This time: New College, New teacher. This is a review. Everybody is healthy. Will take the test right after the class finishes. Then I have two years to finish flying.

Intro to Computers and programing: First non flying or Business related Class I've taken since my undergrad days. The registering process reminded me of good ol SDSU.

As I walked the campus, it felt exciting to be back. Even though, I am old enough to be the father of most of the students. I think I will like going back to school. Call me when you have no Class (Thanks to the late Rodney Dangerfield)

So like Valerie, I too feel odd venturing on to a college campus. But as humans, I believe we are wired to keep learning. After reading what happens to people as they age, I believe I will keep exercising my mind.

Now only if the body can follow.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

no OingoBoingo parties, 'K?

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE learning. I think I'm a perpetual student. I love everything about learning...well, not necessarily true. I'm not partial to homework!

Jacquie