Thursday, October 23, 2008

Meanwhile, back at the Ranch

It has been so long since I have blogged, I totally forgot my log in. Due to a virus, I had to delete my first user name on my computer--I lost all my log ins and passwords. I had to reset everything. I even started a new blog and now that I can log in, I am back at the old one.

Here's what happened since I last blogged:

Lost my job again: I was a General Manager for a small Mailing and Print operation. Until I really started working for them, I did not realize that they were a one trick pony. Meaning, the company had one big account that supplied 80% of the income. You can see this coming--the account cut back most of its work to us. I was laid off within a week. Am I bitter? Yes, my layoff was a knee jerk reaction. My boss said that it was temporary--I have little trust with corporate America. I am looking for a new job.

We put Mom to rest: After spending about two years in my brother's garage, Sean finally got an airplane we could use. We flew out to the same location that we dropped Dad. I finally learned that it was off of Del Mar not Solana Beach. So instead of flying the plane, I got to drop Ma. Unfortunately, I covered the side of the airplane with Ma's ashes. Even though I was very sad when Mom died, it feels good to put her to rest.

Took a Road Trip: My brother invited me on a camping trip. He lives in Colfax, CA (Outside of Sacramento) I was reluctant to go--being unemployed, however, Valerie convinced me to go. So, I loaded up the Go-Cart (my Solara) and drove up. This was the first long road trip in the Go-Cart--it was very comfortable.

I arrive at my brother's house and he tells me that we are going to Boca Lake. This is in the Sierra Nevada Mountains (just the other side of Donner Pass.) So off I go with my nephew, Brian to get a spot. Everything is booked up and we get a crappy spot 5 miles up the road. I leave my nephew to hold the spot and drive down to the camp space that rented them. Since I did not have cellphone service at the camp site, I stopped to make some phone calls. The guy I spoke with said to set up and we would have the other person come up and fill up the paperwork. Well, by the time I got to rent it, the other person had rented it to some one else and had my nephew move.

I came unglued and told her she was wrong. I located the guy I originally spoke with and made my case. He went to work it out, however, we did not get the original space back. He did give us one of the CDF Reserved spaces. It was exactly what we wanted.

So, Sean, Brian, Kevin and I set up camp. Sean's better half, Mary and her son Elliot joined us on the second day. This is the first time I have slept in a tent since I was in Boy Scouts. We spent three fun filled days overlooking a lake. We rode motorcycles and Quads. Went swimming once (too cold), but got to spend time with the nephews and brother. My sister Maureen and her kids Dean and Erin came up for the afternoon. It was a small family reunion. We left Sunday to go to his house-not a moment too soon. After spending three days with no shower or flushing toilet, we were really dirty--it took me 45 minutes in the shower to get clean and had to use a scouring pad to clean my hands.

Job Front: I have had about 4 interviews since I was laid off in August. I have a job offer that is exactly like the one I mentioned in my last blog--GM of a Printer about 3.5 miles away and pay is very low. I have a final interview with a mail house on Monday, I will see what they have to say. If the offer is better, I will go to work for them. I am hoping that I will get a job this month. If not, Everything slows down in November and December. With the economy bushwacked, I don't know if it will pick up soon.

So there you have it. I 've had a really poor attitude for most of the time. Now, I have a better outlook.

Check out Valerie's Blog--She is much better at it than I am.

Happy Trails to you-- until we meet again.

No comments: