Sunday, October 26, 2008

Married 11 years?

Yesterday was my anniversary.

I've been married 11 years. Wow, this is longer than any of my previous romantic relationships combined. I would usually go out with someone for about 2-3 years then one of us would break it up.

Now, I am in uncharted territory. Just as with the rest of life, this didn't come with instructions or manuals. Believe it or not, I am one of the few guys that will read the manual. I learned this over working many years at Radio Shack. Many times, we would have to show our customers how to use the equipment and a few would return it without even talking to us. We realized that these customers did not even read the manual. So as a return reason, we would list "Failure to RTFM" (Read the F@#%" Manual.) Ever since then I RTFM.

What has changed since we've been married? Well, for the most part, health and family changes.

If I were an Automobile--I would be subjected numerous Recalls: Diabetes, Sleep Apnea and other health issues. I joke when I had to fill out medical forms with the "You or your family ever had..", I would not check anything. Now most of it is checked.

Family Additions and Subtractions: Both Ma and Pa passed on, however, we added Kevin (Brother's youngest Son, his oldest was born while we were dating), Dean and Erin (Sister's son and daughter.) Sean got divorced. As for Valerie's side, everything is stable.

Career Path: I have been unemployed twice--Once for two months and this stint, eight months within these past eleven years. This will be the 5th Job I am looking for.

Automotive: Changed from a truck to a coupe due to an accident.

So what's my point?

Valerie is the constant throughout all of this. Never, in my mind, would I ever thought I would test my wedding vows--you know "For Richer or Poorer, in Sickness and Health"

Now, I will admit that I am not the easiest person to live with. I am more like Oscar than Felix in the Odd Couple. And there are times, I wonder why I married Valerie, however I am glad I did.

Valerie, I will not mind scrapbooking, photography, the Disney obsession or the infatuation with Donny Osmond or Keith Urban.

I promise:

Take you to different places to expand your knowledge of geography.
Constantly to push you to improve--i.e. the Camera.
Take you to Scrapbook stores without glazing over too much.
Keep Clock Building to a minimum-except when asked.
Put up with you know who.
Help your friends whenever I can.
Treat your parents like my own.

and Finally, to love you as best I can.

Happy 11th anniversary and to the hope you can stand me for many more years.

No comments: