Sunday, October 28, 2007

Ten Years and Counting

Last Thursday was our tenth anniversary.

I am amazed! Valerie is my longest relationship by far - I've been with her for 12 years. We have been through a wild ten years of marriage--birth of my niece and nephews, the loss of my parents and on my side -three job changes. She has seen my highs and lows and is still here. We have faced parents getting older, changes in our health and watching kids we saw as babies grow into young adults.

I still remember our wedding day. It was windy and warm and the air felt electric. Since I lived so close to Knott's Berry Farm (we were married in the 100 year old Church inside the park), I wanted to walk from our apartment, across the street, to the wedding in my tuxedo. Valerie wouldn't hear of it and sent one of my best men and her friend to collect me. Her friend was offering me a last minute ride to the airport.

What a friend. Thanks for the offer, but I will pass.

It was a heck of a party and even today, I hear how everyone enjoyed it. My father often spoke of how it was the best wedding he had ever attended.

Last night, we celebrated at Ruth's Chris Steak House. We always enjoy ourselves there, and Saturday night was no exception -Good Steak, Good Food and a Great Time. I am so glad that Valerie and I share a love of a good steak.

Would I change some things? Of course, hindsight is always 20-20, but I also realize I am a very lucky man. Looking back, would I make the same decision and marry Valerie after all this time?

In a heartbeat..

I love you Valerie, and hope I am lucky to spend the next eighty years or ten million miles with you --whichever happens to comes first.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on making it 10 years. Marriage is hard work and I hope you have many more 10's... Plus, I count on you two to pave the way to these milestones.

All my love,
Maureen

Susie Q said...

Such a huge milestone! Marriage is hard work but it is also the most wonderful ride you will ever buy a ticket for. And this comes from a lady who has been married *to the same guy mind you* for almost 30 years. It gets better all the time...

Your wife sounds like one of the best of the best and I think you two are a special couple.

All the best.

Warmly,
Sue