Monday, June 9, 2008

I'm Baack!!!

In my last post, I spoke of being laid off. Well after almost five months, I will be starting a new job on Wednesday. I will become a General Manager at a local Mail, Print and List broker.

What has happened these past few months? I finished my programing class. Still waiting for the grade. I had two sections that I had real trouble understanding. There was one homework problem that only 3 people in the class that got it. Professor did not go over it with the class. That gives you an idea of how it went.

Unemployment insurance pays far better than I remember. However, I got within one month of it ending. I found out about a very good group and resource. The One Stop Center of the EDD. They help you refine your interviewing skills, sharpen your resume and teach you how to network. I joined a Experience Unlimited Group and went to Saddleback Church Networking meetings.


I have been to almost all Direct Marketing operations within a thirty mile radius. Within a month of my layoff, I had my first interview. I didn't quite fit. I have been to interviews as far south as northern San Diego county. I was negotiating with a Printer/Mailer about 3.5 miles from my house. I would have practically lived at the facility and what he offered wasn't what I was looking for--So I passed.

In February, I was involved in an automobile accident. I was in a parking lot and someone backed into my truck. Since it was a 13 year old Toyota, the damage was such--the truck was totaled. I went to buy a car on the internet--it turned out to be a scam. The woman was transferred to England and wanted to sell the car. She said it was in a garage and I couldn't see it. She needed a deposit to come to California. Wanted me to wire money to an escrow company--I started to get suspicious when I could not find the address of the company, her accountant and her home address was bogus. Thankfully, I did not fall for it. The old saying "if it is too good to be true--it usually is!"

Friends lent me the use of a 1996 Buick LeSabre Custom. Nice car. As a thank you, I am fixing all the little things before I return it. We named it the Buickmobile! So once I get working, I will buy a used Japanese car.

What I have I learned these past five months? Well there is no one way to look for a job. Keep in touch with your friends. Help your friends when you can--I worked with a friend to help start his company. Take care of your better half.

Do I still regret being laid off? I am relaxed--I worried a little about not finding a job. Talking to my friends still at the last job--Things have gotten weirder.

What have I learned with this whole ordeal? I will be networking for my next job and working with my friends and contacts in the business.

I am sorry you all haven't heard from me--I really wanted to post happy news.

5 comments:

Valerie said...

holy CRAP. have we done a buttload of stuff in the last few months or what?

so. gonna keep up on it this time?
xoxoxo - the (potentially)Award Winning Photographer-slash-Wife.

Steff said...

I'm so glad to hear that interviewing can lead to good things! I'm currently looking for a new job and I've had two interviews. Each of which sent a lovely "...while we value your interest, we've decided to go with another applicant..." I keep on trucking though.

Good luck with your new job! And tell your better half I said hello. :)

Anonymous said...

So glad to have read that you are now gainfully employed. I know the stress of not having an income, after all, we haven't had a steady one for a year and a half. Mortgage banking sux!

You two keep smilin'!

Jacquie

doodlebugmom said...

Congratulations on the new job!

Susie Q said...

Wonderful news!! I am so happy for you...and uh huh. You HAVE been busy!